Sunday 10 January 2010

The British and the weather




I don't know about you and where you live, but this has been a strange week. It has almost been an existence in a parallel dimension. Outside everything white and crisp - and very slippery. The snow's ability to absorb sound together with a reduction in traffic has meant that at times the outside world has been eerily quiet. A trip anywhere is undertaken only if essential. Being cooped up at home after the holiday period has spawned a lethargy that I am anxious to break free from. Yesterday I took myself off to London (more on this later).

As for many people, it's getting the car out off the drive and down the local street that presents the difficulty. The main A30 London to Penzance road literally runs behind our garden hedge - but there are 200 yards of compacted snow and ice, all of which is on a gradient, to encounter before you reach the relative safety of the main road.

My place of work (featured above) was closed on Wednesday and Thursday - only I arrived there on Thursday before the closure was announced! Friday was left to individual discretion - I made the trek in again. As you can see the car park had 6-8 inches of snow on it and underneath was frozen gravel. Like the start of the journey, it was the last bit that was the biggest problem. I almost got stuck in the car park - had to manoeuvre myself so that I was pointing downhill for an easy get away. I don't know how rear wheel drive cars cope in this weather - except by reversing everywhere!

It looks like the thaw is set for Thursday. No doubt with frozen saturated ground, the next problem will be floods - and then we'll probably get another freeze again!

Oh how the British love to talk about the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment