Saturday 16 January 2010

What would you have done?



I Watched The Reader again last night - wonderful. Intense, believable, evocative - certainly doesn't leave you sitting on the fence, but are you happy with the feelings it evokes? The story is both simple and yet so multi-layered it is at the same time extremely complex.

If you are ever looking for an example of teacher who faciltitates learning, check out Bruno Ganz who brilliantly plays a Professor of Law.

The whole film pivots on the question posed by Hannah to the Judge "What would you have done?". I didn't think of this, but it is helpful to view the film as a metaphor of the German people and how as a nation they dealt with (deal with) the Holocaust. Of course it is easy 65 years on to make such statements. However, I was born in the 1950's in the Rhineland as my father was stationed there as part of the BAOR, so I do have a direct link to the story - and the flashback to Neustadt we are told was set in 1958 - the year I was born.

If you've not already done so - do watch The Reader soon.

I'll give this 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment